Texas is home to dozens of active adult communitiesincluding many that stand out for single retirees.If you are looking for Texas homes for sale away from crowded cities and also happen to be single, read on. Time to drop the disability coverage and review your other plans. America's second-most populous state is a haven for retirees. Americans are living longer than ever, and that creates some challenges for retirees. The list is compiled . And, while you can live in a neighborhood, you could also opt to find a home with more land. The town has a 15.30% tax rate, tying it for second-lowest tax rate on this list. We just kept putting on and taking off masks, Steve shrugs. I am tired of both the rat race and workplace politics. Should I retire? I estimate my monthly retirement income in the range of $3,750 to $4,200. It has the second-to-lowest senior population of any city on this list, with seniors comprising just 10.60% of the population. It is so close to all facilities, grocery stores, doctors, hospitals and all the sports available in the Texas Hill Country. Not only does it share an outstanding school district with Lindale but it has a beach, poo, and multiple parks for your kids to grow up in. Sources for our data include zillow.com, trulia.com, bestplaces.net, the National Association of Realtors, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, websites of individual state tax agencies and the latest Milken Institute report on Best Performing Cities. From when to retire to how much to save, here are expert-backed answers to crucial retirement questions. Live entertainment? But look at rapidly growing Denton. FEMA National Risk Index for Natural Hazards, growing threat to the finances and wellbeing of retirees who have clustered in those areas. Read 59 reviews. You can follow her on Twitter @SilviaAscarelli. To get a sense of the housing your money can buy, heres whats on the market now in Canyon Lake and New Braunfels, using listings from Realtor.com (which, like MarketWatch, is owned by News Corp). Some cities are more historic in nature, while many others are more geared toward families and suburban life. All investing involves risk, including loss of principal. But youll get a break on Social Security tax in many states that do have a state income tax, so the benefits wont be that notable. I would like a good hospital and airport within a one-hour drive. The 10 Best Places to Retire in Texas in 2021, The 9 Best Places to Retire in Hawaii in 2021. Nearby Fort Hood has one of the largest military bases in the U.S. It is affordable, has amazing weather, and is a retirement hub for other like-minded older individuals. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Read 2 reviews. 1 Niche users give it an average review of 5 stars. Things to do (Museums, Colleges, and Libraries in town), Distance to the closest international airport. I grew up there as a child, and now I am a mom of three and my husband and I are currently living in the Meadows as a family. 6. Brownsville is considered a gulf coast border town of fewer than 200,000 inhabitants. Another interesting tidbit is that it is home to the. We share some of the best small towns for singles to retire in the Lone Star State.. 55places.com looked at over 29,000 cities designated by the most recent census data, focusing . Another top cities for veterans listing was produced by Navy Federal Credit Union. Victoria DeCuir/ Courtesy Denton Public Library, reduced or even free tuition as a senior citizen, There is more to picking a place to retire than low taxes avoid these 5 expensive mistakes, Health care will cost this much in retirement but probably even more, claim that same fee waiver for six credit hours per semester. Port Arthur Percentage of the Population Over 65: 12.7% Median Home Value: $65,800 Most Recent Annual Number of Violent Crim es: 344 Most Recent Annual Number of Property Crimes: 1,203 Additionally, the winter climate is mild, which attracts "snowbirds" who have second homes in McAllen to escape the cold. HomeSnacks is reader-supported. Corpus Christi 1 / 14 Credit 10. Is it the hometown restaurants, the cost of living, or the friendly communities? We also look closely at taxes and the strength of the local economy (should retirees want to work part time or resell their homes), the availability of medical care, the level of serious crime and factors conducive to a healthy and active lifestyle, such as air quality, and convenience for walking and biking. Want to see how your favorite Texan city stacked up? SmartAsset also ranked the top places to retire in. Texas is hot, hot, hot that time of year, and you dont want to discover you hate the weather after youve paid for a move. The tax burden here is 15.30%, which is on the low end compared to other cities on this list. Provides auto-suggestions when entering text, Niche requires Javascript to work correctly. Woodway is a suburb of Waco, and it ranks third on this list for medical centers, with 10.61 medical centers per 1,000 residents. The Chamber of Commerce counts more than 20 public and private courses in the county. Harlingen 5. She attended college in the Houston area and changed her major twice (psychology, computer science, and finally criminal justice) before taking a leap of faith and dropping out to pursue a career in freelance writing. If youre the student, depending on the school you pick, you may qualify for reduced or even free tuition as a senior citizen, freeing up some of your budget. That's right, this southern state is perfect for retirement. It's a very niche community that celebrates fun events, but it does have a reputation of a rich neighborhood, and diversity is welcomed, just rare. 2015-2023 Chasing Chains, LLC. If the sale of your home in Maine means youve got the money to afford a lake house, why not consider Canyon Lake in whats dubbed the Hill Country Coast? Current Resident: Hideaway is an amazing place to live. We considered the retiree tax burden, knowing that retirees will want to protect their retirement savings as best they can. To be sure, the Lone Star State has plenty to offer those who have left the working world behind and are looking for somewhere to spend their retirement. That is a rare find, folks. Woodway also has 1.50 recreation centers per 1,000 residents, which places it towards the middle of this list. We love the community and everything it has to offer. It is not far from the world famous Blue Bonnet Caf. The city is located just 10 minutes from Waco, the home of Baylor University. But the people are friendly and it's a very quiet area. Read 3 reviews. The couple investigated Nashville, Austin, Tex., and Asheville, N.C. As part of their online research they came across a Facebook group touting the eastern Tennessee city of Knoxville. Today, Katie writes for the Texas and Arizona pages of OnlyInYourState.com and has never been more passionate about a job before. Read 5 reviews. The DFW area is one of the best places to live (ranked #24) and to retire (ranked #17) within the U.S., according to U.S. News and World Report. It also has good proximity to Houston where you can enjoy all the amenities the big city offers while living in a small, quaint town. Livingston also has 7.66 medical centers per 1,000 residents, which places it only 6th on this list but is still a fairly decent number comparatively speaking. However, empty land is rapidly filling up, and its only a matter of time until the DFW megapolis fills the I-35 corridor up to the Oklahoma state line. The neighborhoods here are pretty friendly as well allowing you to walk late at night with no worry. With Lone Star College . Heres what you need to know about moving to Puerto Rico for retirement. December 31,2021 . Although you will find a relatively low cost of living in some areas, its important to note that both sales taxes and property taxes are higher than many states. My family has enjoyed being part of the Horseshoe Bay landscape for the past 15 years. The last entry on this list is Burnet, a central Texas city located just an hour north of Austin. Everyone is friendly and welcoming. Featured Review: Nearby Resident says Alamo Heights has an excellent school district, safe neighborhoods, and easy access to all amenities life requires.. Current Resident: I live in the Barton Creek area and I have always felt very safe in this neighborhood. There are no guarantees that working with an adviser will yield positive returns. It does attract a decent tourist population, but this also means youll have plenty of restaurants and shops nearby. As the Nagels understood only too well, powerful hurricanes and increased flooding on the low-lying East and Gulf Coasts are a growing threat to the finances and wellbeing of retirees who have clustered in those areas. Not to mention, the schools are fantastic! But assuming youre good with 100-degree days, you can certainly find places that offer what you are looking for, all with different personalities. Monthly expenditures: $1,647.72. I have even considered coming back and building my family her in this neighborhood. Read 2 reviews. 3 Niche users give it an average review of 3.7 stars. Mot residents are older, or have children in high school. Sometimes it makes more sense for one member of a married couple to keep working. Conroe isnt a retiree haven, although it does attract plenty of snowbirds. To help Americans find the best cities to spend their golden years, WalletHub compared the retirement-friendliness of 182 cities including the 150 most populated U.S. cities, plus at least two of the most populated cities in each state across four key dimensions: 1) Affordability, 2) Activities, 3) Quality of Life and 4) Health Care. Comparative assessments and other editorial opinions are those of U.S. News SmartAssets free financial advisor matching service makes it easier to find a financial advisor to work with who meets your needs. Although the choice of where to spend your golden years takes a lot of careful consideration, its nice to know our state is brimming with great options. 25. As noted in the story above, we also give serious consideration to climate change and natural hazards. NewHomeSource.com is a trademark of Builders Digital Experience, LLC and all other marks are either trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. In Texas, you may not be surrounded by luscious green grass, but you can make a decent cactus garden, ride horses, and eat delicious BBQ. My family moved into hideaway for the security and multiple opportunities it has to be engaged in the community such as the beach and clubhouse. 2022 Retirable Inc. All rights reserved. Consider your health care plans, income sources and tax bracket before making the transition. 6 min read. Among the many medical centers is Houston Methodist, a top-ranked hospital statewide. Here are the best places to retire in Texas: Living in Texas we already know how great it is, but these 10 best places to retire in Texas are supposed to be pretty swell to settle down. Friendly people and beautiful houses to look at! You can look up and clearly see the stars and constellations. Featured Review: Junior says Second Baptist school welcomes you, encourages you, and prepares you. Spring Valley Village is the best small town in Texas based on the most recent Census data. The 10 Best Small Towns To Live In Texas For 2022 Spring Valley Village Rollingwood Hollywood Park Southside Place Bunker Hill Village Taylor Lake Village Castle Hills Piney Point Village Olmos Park The Hills What's the best small town in Texas? San Antonio is the ideal place to combine a scenic Texas Hill Country retirement with the amenities of a large . We are looking forward to a healthy peaceful retirement with our grandchildren,. Current Resident: I would choose Colleyville as my hometown over and over again. So what part of Texas has the best weather? Your email address will not be published. America's second-most populous state is a haven for retirees. The air is always fresh and clean. Have a question? It has the fewest medical centers at 1.64 per 1,000 residents and the fewest recreation centers at 0.66 per 1,000 residents. The tax burden in Katy is 16.40%, placing Katy seventh on this list for that metric. We also consider the local economy, since many retirees look for part-time work and down the road might want to sell their home and relocate again. And where are Houston and San Antonio? The tax burden for the town is 16.70%, which ties Woodway with two other Texas cities for the highest tax rate on this list. For many people, retirement is the reward after decades of working and raising a family. Katys proximity to Houston means easy access to professional sports games, arts and other amenities that big cities offer, while you can live in a relatively small town. But what makes it one of the best retirement communities in Texas is its many parks and walking trails. I am tired of both the rat race and workplace politics. Should I retire? Featured Review: Current Resident says Lakeway is the best place to grow up/raise a family! And the winner? Not only does it share an outstanding school district with Lindale but it has a beach, poo, and multiple parks for your kids to grow up in. This guide will show you the 10 best places to retire in Texas and explain what makes them so good for retirees. The 10 Best Places To Retire In Texas For 2023 Santa Fe Lockhart Fredericksburg Southlake Taylor Port Lavaca Angleton Kerrville Gatesville Alice Why did Santa Fe take the top spot? Scenic and far from hurricane paths, Knoxville is home to the University of Tennessee and its medical school, which translates into lots of doctors, restaurants and entertainment. Featured Review: Current Resident says I absolutely love Meadows Place. the ages range from newborn to grand parents. Current Resident: Woodway is a beautiful, oak tree-filled town on the outskirts of Waco, TX. What is the best month to retire in 2021? That means that there are plenty of places for you to move where youll find a built-in community. 4 Niche users give it an average review of 3.8 stars. San Antonio has an energy that's both lively - due to the upbeat Hispanic culture - and laid-back. Very pretty, though expensive homes, each uniquely. Current Resident: What a great place to live. Increased spending increases the risk of depleting your savings and performance is not guaranteed. A little bit in the middle of nowhere, but the view is worth it. Read 16 reviews. We analyzed over 226 cities in Texas to determine which cities are worthy of your extended vacation. There's a community pool and center with plenty of clubs to join, and a large golf course. Her work has appeared on Money Under 30, The Motley Fool, MoneyGeek, E-commerce Insiders, and GoBankingRates. Mot residents are older, or have children in high school. You can take classes at Texas State University in San Marcos, 20 minutes by car from New Braunfels. The residents are kind and selfless, and you will probably make a friend wherever you go. The 5 Best Places To Retire. Great place for just taking a stroll in either the morning or late in the evening. There are also various levels of courses offered, such as AP,. Parent: Good Shepherd is such a special, one-of-a-kind school! Best Parent Student Loans: Parent PLUS and Private. The laid-back lifestyle and low housing prices draw many retirees to Corpus Christi. Featured Review: Current Resident says This is such a family friendly neighborhood. Plus, we consider factors that promote an active retirement. You can't beat the schools (Hidden Forest, Bradley, Churchill) and teachers. There are also 0.46 retirement communities per 1,000 residents. The town is close to Houston and Sugar Land, both of which offer plenty of options for recreation and entertainment. . Spindletop, the site of the largest oil discovery in Texas history, is located here, and a museum commemorates its far-reaching influence. We have parades, memorial day parties, street dances, bingo, karaoke night, and so much more! Del Rio 9. There are also various levels of courses offered, such as AP, honors, dual credit, and regular. (You can audit classes at no cost, too, without a limit on credit hours.). Living on a golf course or near the lake is a great choice and the security here is excellent with virtually no crime. Read 2 reviews. If I had a choice I would have lived here from the beginning rather than move here in the 5th grade.The rural atmosphere is more enjoyable than the city life of Bryan, TX where I was born. If I had a choice I would have lived here from the beginning rather than move here in the 5th. Current Resident: 10/10 experience would recommend, It's an active town, with people always out walking, cycling, and boating and the. Although many of the activities are geared toward families, two senior centers ensure retirees have plenty to do. There were more than 35 communities on the Texas list of certified retirement communities as of 2016, but the . Just a word of caution: Maine to Texas is quite a temperature switch, so consider investigating your possibilities during the summer. Philadelphia may not seem like the most obvious place to settle down into retirement the big, old, noisy East Coast city is as famous for its grumpy sports fans as for its history. Wichita Falls 10. If youre looking for one of the cheapest cities in Texas, consider McAllen, a populous city close to the Mexico border. This suburb does a great job about catering to. Current Resident: It's a great place to live. History lovers often choose Fredericksburg for a Texas retirement. A health savings account is a beneficial tool for retirement planning. Humble also is towards the middle of the pack in terms of tax burden, with a tax rate of 16.20%. Whether a Texas retirement is imminent or just a distant dream, finding a financial advisor can help you get prepared. We considered many factors when determining which cities were the the best places to retire in Texas. Killeen, Texas, is located in east-central Texas and has a population of about 156,000, according to the latest U.S. census. Located just a half hour west of Houston, Katy is one of the best places to retire in Texas as the town has 17.60 medical centers per 1,000 residents. (Read about why, here.). We also have road runners galore and even used to have a Road Runner Festival on Memorial weekend before Covid. SmartAsset Advisors, LLC ("SmartAsset"), a wholly owned subsidiary of Financial Insight Technology, is registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission as an investment adviser. See how they fared in WalletHub's Best Cities for Veterans. Featured Review: Current Resident says I would choose Colleyville as my hometown over and over again. (The name is a hint that the town was founded by German immigrants.). Some Texas cities, though, have more to offer retirees than others. Download our guide to help safeguard your retirement from economic shifts. Here are the best cities to retire in Texas: 10. But what makes it one of the best places to retire in Texas is its relatively low housing prices. The Texas certified retirement community program is run by the Texas Department of Agriculture. If youre a fan of the movie Back to the Future, Humble has one thing going for it: it is the home to the DeLorean Motor Company. We have our own police and fire departments keeping us safe and comforted. Here is a list of a few more of the best Texas retirement towns: Hutto Lubbock Brady Burnet Cameron Granbury Kerrville Fredericksburg Find out why life in Texas is better in these small towns when it's time to retire. We have a fun summer swim team that connects many families. Brownsville has a city zoo, the Gladys Porter Zoo, and 32 city parks. It is so close to all facilities, grocery stores, doctors, hospitals and all the sports available in the Texas Hill Country. This year, we also used the new FEMA National Risk Index for Natural Hazards which calculates for every county a vulnerability measure for 18 natural hazards, including flooding, hurricanes, landslides, earthquakes and wind. Steve and Kathleen Nagel had two special requirements as they searched for a retirement locale last fall: plentiful medical specialists (Kathy, 64, has health issues) and no risk of hurricanes, a perpetual threat to their old home in Lake Charles, 30 miles off the Gulf of Mexico. In addition to being ideal for beach lovers, Port Arthur is also a suburban town packed with amenities. Builders Digital Experience, LLC. Texas may not be the most tax-friendly state for retirees, but it does have a low cost of living. Featured Review: Current Resident says Highland Park is a very friendly neighborhood, but it's also known as a bubble of its own. The average mortgage usually hovers around $600, the weather is some of the best in Texas, and golf, libraries, and restaurants are all easily accessible. Very safe, friendly with abundant hiking trails and scenery and great access to 2 championship Jack Nicholas Courses, World of tennis, Lake Travis around the. Current Resident: Lakeway is the best place to grow up/raise a family! This is not an offer to buy or sell any security or interest. As an added bonus, the tax burden in Granbury is 15.30%, which is on the lower end of this list. Retirable can help set you up with a plan. One-Time Checkup with a Financial Advisor, 7 Mistakes You'll Make When Hiring a Financial Advisor, Take This Free Quiz to Get Matched With Qualified Financial Advisors, Compare Up to 3 Financial Advisors Near You. Featured Review: Niche User says I honestly enjoy living in the Bullard area. The people here in Plano are so diverse, and so hospitable! Plano. If you haven't done these things by age 50, it could be too late to do them well. Texas State has 38,000 students and will let you earn up to six credits per semester for free if you are at least 65 years old. It is very important to do your own analysis before making any decisions based on your own personal circumstances. So there you have it, the best place to retire in Texas goes to Santa Fe. If youre driving, its about 30 miles to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport and 36 miles to Dallas Love Field.
Lululemon Headquarters Los Angeles, Bollywood Celebrities With Thyroid Problems, Penalty For Driving Without Registration Nebraska, Articles B